This article is WIP.
The Kemoverse game is a realization of part of the Kemoverse and the pre-Tuner story as a playable game.
The basic concept is an interactive, story-driven adventure/freeroam type game that tells the imminent story leading up to Tuner: Kat and Mika starting college together and gaining friends and enemies. The primary objective will be story progression, of which areas and in-game features are unlocked for free travel. Focus will also be on interaction with the world, such as moving things around, dressing up, or simply walking around.
V1 (Uni of Furries)
First version of the game featured a very rough outline of the desired interface, gameplay, environment and a player model. It was my first foray in to Unity and Blender so the models were simplistic. At this stage, I had a vague concept of the scenes, items and features that should be available, but they lacked a common theme except for the fact that this all took place at a school. The school idea stems from an earlier project that I had worked on many years back -- Furry Summer School, a renpy-based visual novel with drawn images. The FSS project failed beacuse I got overwhelmed by the amount of work needed to be done.
Around this time, I realized I needed a stricter and more coherent reference sheet to base my ideas of, so I tried to specify the idea on canvas. The basis for the game was born -- it would be a social online experience, backed by a visual novel for progression. I determined for sure that it would feature the Tuner cast as the story. With the help of User:ForwardIterator, a basic cat model took shape based on three planned races: Felinae, Canidae and Doragne. However, Forward went offline for quite some time with an unfinished model, which I ended up modifying to my needs (adding eyes, texturing, etc).
I kept adding various items and special effects over the course of a month, eventually adding up to two populated rooms. The code starting to suffer since I had not anticipated this direction in development, so I decided to redo everything in one new project.
For this version, I re-imported everything in to a clean workspace and made sure everything looked and behaved consistent. I polished the look, adding a bit more details, and generally just streamlined everything. I also developed more on the UI, adding loading screens and other useful elements. Paru model got a few different hairstyles and further improvements on the look. The outside world was dropped for the time being. Other than that, I did not introduce many new scripts or items, so it's fairly empty.
In the summer, I got busy with life/school and dropped this project in favor of others. However, in December 2018, I took a look at my project once again and decided that it needed yet another reboot due to the new Prefab workflow in Unity that fundamentally changes how you create premade assets. The Editor itself had also matured, which contributed to my decision. The plan is to make a formal design specification for the entire game, from start to finish, and to actually produce a demo that can be played for a showcase of the basic functionality.
As of April, about 30% of the demo functionality and 10% of the overall functionality is in place.